Saturday, February 9, 2013

Shephelah- David and Goliath


The Shephelah, also known as the low hills, was the next area we got to go on a field trip to.  We got to visit many sites including Beth Shemesh and the Sorek Valley, Azekah and the Elah Valley, Mareshah and the Guvrin Valley, and finally Lachish and the Lachish Valley.  It was all so beautiful and very green.  In a month or two everything will be brown, so I am very glad that I got to see it in its green season. 

My favorite part of the trip was visiting Azekah and overlooking the Elah Valley.  The Elah Valley is where the famous biblical story of David and Goliath took place.  We had a devotional on this site and Brother Judd, my Old Testament teacher, quoted something by President Hinckley. President Hinckley taught that we all have Goliaths in our life. Goliath is not just a man who was killed by David.  He can also stand as a symbol.   
There are many things that are scary, intimidating, or that seem impossible to overcome.  These stand as Goliaths in our lives.  We all have our own Goliaths that seem near impossible to go to battle with and come out alive. But I imagine a young David who goes up to Battle with this huge Philistine that is 7-9 ft tall and demonstrated faith and trust in the Lord.  This faith and trust helped prevail.

In modern times, Goliaths can stand as peer pressure, drugs, or addictions.  Goliaths can also be within us.  Perhaps we struggle with self- esteem, or having a strong testimony.  No matter what the Goliath is, we can always prevail over it with the Lord’s help. I learn more about this each and every day.  

 I doubt I will ever have to fight a 7-9ft man to save my people.  But I know I will have to fight “giants” nearly every day.  We must have faith and trust in the Lord and then we too, like David, can overcome these Goliaths. 


Spencer and I's reenactment. 

Fun Fact. The rock that David used to kill Goliath is around the size of the rock that is in my hand. For some reason I always thought it was a small pebble-like rock. 

Beth Shemesh and the Sorek Valley


There was the prettiest red flowers all over.  Interesting enough though, it is against the law to pick wild flowers in Israel. 
The Sorek Valley is where Samson grew up. 


Mareshah and the Guvrin Valley

The limestone here is super soft.  You could scratch off pieces of it with your nails.  People would carve these bell shaped caves to live in and use as taverns. 


An old olive press. 

 Lachish and the Lachish Valley

Judd's class devotional.  Lachish is talked about in the Bible.  There was a famous siege here where the Assyrians came and conquered this Judean town.  




No comments:

Post a Comment