Saturday, March 9, 2013

Half Marathon Baby!!!

Here in Jerusalem we have a saying… “YOJO.”  This is an acronym that stands for, “you are only in Jerusalem once.” This is how we students justify everything we do.  Let me give some examples. Perhaps you are debating on whether or not to eat your fifth chocolate pita… “YOJO.” Maybe you are wondering if you should buy that really cute scarf… “YOJO.” Or maybe you are debating on running a half marathon that you have not trained for… “YOJO.”

Well this acronym is how it all started.  I have always wanted to run a half marathon which is why it was on my bucket list.  A lot of my girl friends and I decided it would be really cool to say our first half marathon was in Jerusalem.  This is why we decided to sign up for the Jerusalem half marathon. However pre and post sign up I was REALLY nervous because my legs had been really sore from running only just a couple of miles at a time...  Jerusalem is really hilly.  I also live on a small mountain, the Mt. of Olives. Because of this, it is really hard on your legs.  I was nervous that I was going to run this half marathon and injure myself so that the rest of my trip here would be affected.  However I am not really keen on backing away from a challenge.  I also could not stand to have a lot of my friends run the half and accomplish such a feat without me.  This is why I didn’t switch to the 10 K ( which most students were doing.)

The night before the race everyone who signed up for the half marathon were invited to attend a pasta dinner….carb load! However the entire time I was not really enjoying myself because I was freaked out for what the next day entailed. 


Well the next day rolls around.  The van we hired to take us to the race dropped us off almost two miles away from the race because he couldn’t find any roads that weren’t blocked off.  It is kind of hysterical if you think about it. Here is a car load of kids walking two miles to find the start of a 13.1 mile race.  It was even funnier how a majority of the people working didn’t even know where the start of the race was. But we found it in time.
Right before the race. 

The race began and there were thousands of people there.  I think with all of the races combined(10k,1/2 marathon, and marathon) there was a total of 17,000 people signed up. There was such fun energy.  Before the race I talked to my friend who has run a few marathons and she told me your body gets to a point where it becomes a machine.  Your body is doing the motions while your mind is elsewhere. I kept this in mind as I ran.  I decided to start off slow and gage how I felt as I went. The first mile or two my legs were receptive to the burn.  However shortly after something miraculous happened. The Lord had seriously answered my prayers.  My legs became numb and I couldn’t feel any pain.  I felt so energized and I was smiling and waving my arms in the air as I passed spectators and camera men.  I ran with my darling friends Jenessa and Lindee. When we got to the hills there were usually people dressed up in costumes and music blaring.  They always had water stops and fans to help you along the way.  We ran all over the city.  It started in west Jerusalem and we made our way through the old city and along the roads of Jerusalem.



This man was trying to offer moral support during the race. 

 I felt so great the entire time.  It was the most invigorating feeling ever.  I sincerely felt so happy and at peace with life.  I ran the entire time.  The very end was the hardest when we had a hill.  But for the most part I felt good. And oh man was it wonderful to see that finish line arch.   
I crossed the finish line holding Lindee’s hand with my arm raised. I had accomplished my goal and I felt like I was on top of the world.  I got my medal, and shoved my face with oranges, bananas, and chocolate bread.  Some of our friends also brought gummies and chocolate bars that we ate after as well….I know super nutritional.









It has been about a week since the race and I feel great.  The two days after the race I was sore but not too bad.  So moral of the story is that we can accomplish our goals.  We can do hard things, and the Lord will look out for us. 









1 comment:

  1. HANNIE!!!!! I LOVE IT! Congratulations! What a great accomplishment! I am SOOO proud of you! WAY TO GO! I love all of your matching shirts. Did you coordinate?! I like the pic. with the man offering "moral support"...
    I am so glad you decided to do it. You can do hard things!

    ReplyDelete