Saturday, March 9, 2013

Shepherding Is Not In The Cards For Me


Neot Kedumim is a land reserve that captures what the land would have looked like during biblical times. One activity we did there was herding sheep. I never thought the day would come when I would get the opportunity to herd sheep and goats.  I gained so much respect for shepherds that day because it was really hard.
 I was taught that you must love the sheep.  Well I guess the sheep were not feeling the love because they did not acknowledge my presence or attempts to herd them in the slightest. It was kind of hysterical watching other people try, however I am sure it was even funnier watching my group’s attempt. Some groups of students did better than others..based on the pictures I will let you decided which category I fell under.



Despite my failure, someone who will never fail is the Savior. He is my shepherd and he will gather those who are lost. “As a shepherd seeketh out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered; so will I seek out my sheep, and will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day….I will seek that which was lost, and bring again that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick.” -Ezekial 34

We made some Hillel, a common spice that we put on our homemade pitas.  We set up camp by building a fire that we used to make ourselves lunch.  With some flour, water, salt, and oil we concocted dough for pitas.  Other students helped make some lentil soup to go with it. It was actually pretty good.  We also had sack lunches just in case, but overall I am impressed with the meal we made.    



Fun fact about the camp site.  They had the most artistic toilet seats I have ever seen.  That is what I call camping with style. 

Meeting a Torah Scribe was another incredible stop on this field trip.  We watched him read a 200 year old Torah scroll. These Torah scrolls usually take 2-2 ½ years to make( one year to write, and another year to double check it.) These scrolls could be sold for $25,000- $35,000.    Something really cool I learned was what they do with sacred text that they mess up on.  They do not believe one should burn these papers so they will literally bury them in a cemetery opposed to throwing them away.  I think that is so astounding. He also showed us some prayer ornaments, telfillin, that they will wear on their head and arm as they pray.  These boxes usually take 5 months to make.






Here is some grade A team work. Olive presses are pretty big in Jerusalem.  


1 comment:

  1. Hannah! You are so adorable! I have spent the last few hours enjoying al of your adventures! What an incredible time you have had and are having! Haha I loved this last blog post especially, and wish I could've seen you chase the sheep around:) Maybe we'll have a Jackson road trip when we're older to Jerusalem and you can chase some more sheep;) I am so inspired by your Spirit and testimony, and I can' wait to hear more about your life-changing experiences!

    ReplyDelete