Saturday, March 9, 2013

Teaching English


Something I love about the Jerusalem Center is there are countless opportunities to serve. One service opportunity I was able to participate in was teaching English at a nearby school.  I taught four year olds how to say school supplies such as bag, eraser, pencil, and lunchbox.  I also reviewed the letter F with them by teaching a frog song, and playing “duck, duck, frog.” I had so much fun. It was actually a lot harder than I had originally anticipated though. You get there being so excited to teach. However, when you start trying to explain what you are going to do, you realize they can’t understand anything that you are saying. Failure. The kids there speak Arabic so there is that language barrier… if only I would have learned more in my Arabic class. However the teacher was a wonderful translator. 


The children were all SO DARLING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment