Thursday, January 10, 2013

Finally In Jerusalem




The airport.



FINALLY!!! Yesterday was the day I finally stepped foot in Israel! I am actually sitting in East Jerusalem this very minute! Can you believe it? The day that I would step into the Holy Land has been anticipated for years now, and just yesterday my feet were able to meet the precious ground as I walked into the Jerusalem Center for the first time.
Breath-taking. That was my first thought as I saw, and entered the Jerusalem Center.  The center is truly incredible.  If you have never had the opportunity to see what the center looks like, inside and out, there is a wonderful thing called google.  The Jerusalem Center is immaculate in every sense of the word. 



An outside look at the Jerusalem Center!
                                                  

I have also had the unique opportunity to be here when it snows.  Apparently Jerusalem has not seen as much snow as it has seen for the past two days for around 10 years according to Eran Hyat, President of the Center.  It is beautiful!


 This is one of my favorite snow pictures of the Dome of the Rock.  This was taken from one of the Jerusalem Center balconies. 

Some of the people who are here with me!

Our first Jerusalem snowman. 

 In order to get to this wonderful place, if you are from Layton, Utah, requires around a 27 hour traveling period. I arrived at the Salt Lake City airport at about 9 a.m on Tuesday the 8th.  We left to fly to JFK at about 11:30 where we would land and have a three hour layover. After the layover we boarded the plane that would take us to the much anticipated location of Tel Aviv.   This was an adventure all in its self.
We boarded the BIGGEST plane I have ever seen…there were two stories!!!!!!  Since when do planes have two stories??For all of those frequent flyers, this may seem ordinary. However, this seemed extraordinary to me. The Wright brothers have got to be proud.
I was on the first floor with the majority of the people.  I sat in row 57, seat K, and I wasn’t even close to the back. This is just a small example of how big the plane was.  It was a downright trek trying to get my seat.  However I was greeted by new friend, Jacque, who was my accomplice in both plane rides.  She is also attending the BYU Jerusalem Center. The ride was long; there is no doubt about that.  However it was so fascinating.
My favorite part was observing the Orthodox Jews on our plane.  These are people that I have not had much encounter with, especially being from Layton, Utah.  They truly are devoted to their religion.  In between me trying to get some sleep, I saw that a lot of them had gathered to the rear of the plane where they were praying, and wearing symbolic items( in which I am incredibly excited to learn more about.)  They were back there for what seemed like hours.  That is one of the many blessings I get while studying in Israel. I get to learn about other religions that populate Israel. I truly respect these individuals who devote their lives to what they believe in and I can’t wait to learn more!
The plane ride to Tel Aviv. Me, Jacque, and India. 

This is the full fledged flight meal provided. 

My first look at my new home for the next four months.  Israel here I come!!!!




1 comment:

  1. AHHHH!!! yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. we LOVE the pictures. we LOVE the blog. we LOVE that you get to have this special adventure!!!!! We love you!

    ReplyDelete