Friday, January 18, 2013

Orientation Walk


My first time exploring the city was on the orientation walk.  Jerusalem is SOOO cool, and has so many adventures awaiting around every corner.  Since pictures are worth a thousand words, I decided to share some of them with you! 

Austrian Hospice

 
This is my orientation group on the roof of the hospice. 

It is all so beautiful!!!

 
Some of the speakers of what I presume are used for the call to prayer.  These go off all the time.  It is a constant reminder that I am in Jerusalem. I love it!
The Church of the Holy Sepulcher 
                         
This is the outside.  Note, the ladder on the edge of the building below the window.  That ladder has been there for decades because no one wants to over step their bounds, and no one knows exactly whose authority it is to move the ladder.  Thus it remains unmoved.  The concept of respecting other people and their bounds so precisely I find so fascinating. There are some incredible people in this world.  

Aside from the Garden Tomb, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher is another location where many believe Christ could have been crucified and buried. This is where they think He was buried. 


This is where people believe Christ's body was prepared for burial. 

Inside the Old City Market



The merchants insisted that we dress up. I loved it!!

West Jerusalem 

West Jerusalem is one of the places the students are allowed to go at night, a.k.a after four thirty.  We have many rules in order to keep us safe.  The security guards are gems. Every single one of them. 

I think this is funny.  This was in west Jerusalem.  It depicts Jerusalem as the heart/center of the world! Everybody has to have pride in their home land. 

 My FIRST time having falafal. It is very common over here.  I think falafals in Jerusalem are equivalent to hamburgers in America. Everywhere people are selling them and eating them.   

Do not be fooled.  Believe it or not, these guys were cement! This is a rude awaking to anyone who anticipated sitting on a soft pillow!


No comments:

Post a Comment