Friday, January 18, 2013

Jerusalem Overlook

We got to have an overlook at Jerusalem.  We visited a few spots including Seven Arches Hotel, Augusta Victoria, the hills overlooking Bethlehem, Nabi Samwil, and Tayelet. It is so crazy visiting places that have so much history. I don't think I will ever get over the "wow" factor.


Seven Arches Hotel View 
                                   
This southern part outside of the walls is where the original Jerusalem use to be. This is where Nephi lived. 

The steps right next to the wall are dated back to the time of the Savior.  These are steps Christ could have walked on in order to get to the temple grounds. 

The Dome of the Rock.  It is magnificent!


Augusta Victoria 
This is a Lutheran Church that commerates the ascension of Christ into heaven from the Mt. of Olives.It was breath-taking inside. There was such great detail everywhere. We got to sing in there, and the acoustics were amazing. 

See what I mean?! Mom I wish you could have seen it. I know how you love old churches. You would have loved it. 


The alter. 

This is called the Panto Crutor, meaning "ruler of everything." This is on the ceiling, which makes sense because they usually put it on the highest part of the church. The book Christ is holding means Alpha and Omega. The four gray circles on the four corners symbolize Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. There are four chief angels north, south, east, and west of Christ. The 12 outer circles represent the 12 apostles. Almost everything in the church had a meaning which I love!

An Overlook of Bethlehem 

I can't believe I got to look over the fields of Bethlehem. So much history.  This is where Christ was born.  These are probably the fields that shepherds watched their flocks by night before they got to go see the baby Jesus. In a few weeks I will actually get to go in Bethlehem! 

I love these girls. 


This is similar to what the Savior is likely to have been born in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment