Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Start of Something New

I am at the age of life, 19, where many people are beginning to dip their paintbrushes in paint, to create their own masterpieces.  Big decisions and events are being made that contribute to their own Mona Lisa or Starry Night. Missions, marriage, and education are some of these big decisions.  
I will touch briefly on one big change that has, and will continue, to affect the lives of millions. This is the change in mission ages. For all of those in Provo, it seemed as if it was a mad dash to the bishop’s office to get interviews. There were lists and lists of people waiting to get an interview. This is truly amazing!
Many of my friends have been leaving on missions for the past few years, and they are still continuing to leave. However, because I am now at the age girls can leave, I have been bombarded with the news of more of my friends and peers being called to serve the Lord in various missions across the whole world. President Gordon B. Hinckley described temples as “dot[ting] the earth.” However, I feel like I now can say that about my friends and peers.  They are literally dotting the earth with a variety of locations for missions, but also with other opportunities as well.
Well now at the beginning of 2013, I am adding my own “dot” to the map.  I have received the truly incredible opportunity to go and study for a semester at the BYU Jerusalem Center!!  I am leaving my friends, family, and life for 4 months to go and study the life of the Savior.  I could not be more excited, and I am so grateful.  I will get the opportunity to study the Bible in depth, and visit places the Savior has walked.  How incredible this opportunity is! One does not need to go to Jerusalem to study the Savior’s life; however I am honored to be able to do so.
 I leave for Jerusalem on January 8, 2013!  As I am gone I will write some of my experiences and thoughts on this blog.  I invite anyone and everyone to follow me along as I embark on this truly amazing journey.  This experience is a magnificent silver lining in my life that will contribute to me and the woman I will become in ways I am sure I don’t fully understand at this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment